When you decide to start a more plant-based diet, the first meal of the day is perfect to start, since we can recreate a good breakfast, leaving vegetables as the main ingredient.
With the consumption of vegetables you will always have a better and more balanced diet. It is one of the best decisions you can make to stay healthy. Therefore, in order to help you in this task, we show you a list of 5 breakfast recipes based on ingredients of plant origin .
5 plant-based breakfast recipes
1. Mochaccino shake
This recipe turns out to be a great replacement for cow’s milk , giving you a lot more nutrients and energy. Its preparation is mainly with 250 ml of cold beer along with coffee and chocolate, cocoa seeds are also used on the top. Both coffee and cocoa are of plant origin, and will provide many good nutrients for your body.
For this recipe you can reduce the sugar content, adding cocoa powder and without sugar, you can also opt for unsweetened pea milk.
- A cup of vanilla flavored unsweetened almond milk
- 250 ml of cold coffee
- One medium banana
- 250 ml of pea milk and chocolate
- 30 g of cocoa beans
- In a blender you must combine the milk, coffee, banana, proteins and cocoa. Then, proceed to mix over high heat, so that they come together much better; also so that it acquires a smooth consistency.
- Pour the contents into a glass and decorate with cocoa beans.
2. Traditional breakfast of pancakes with cauliflower
Pancakes are a well-known breakfast, being one of many people’s main breakfast dishes. These are normally prepared with flour and egg, but there is no rule that only these ingredients can be used.
When we add cauliflower to pancakes instead of flour , we will achieve a totally identical but healthier breakfast, therefore we will gain much more protein and energy.
- One medium cauliflower
- Two eggs
- Half a cup of part-skim ricotta cheese
- Half a cup of plain breadcrumbs
- One teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Chop the cauliflower into florets. This means taking small parts of the cauliflower.
- Boil the cauliflower florets until soft and tender, about 10 minutes. Then remove them from the water.
- Proceed to crush the florets and combine them with the egg, cheese and breadcrumbs to a mixture, subsequently forming the pancakes.
- When the pancakes are ready, coat a griddle with olive oil and over medium heat. When it is hot you can add the dough.
- Proceed to cook each of the pancakes, always until they are golden brown. This can take 2 to 4 minutes on each side.
3. Vegan smoothie for breakfast with fig and pitaya
Pitaya is a very special fruit, which will give our breakfast smoothie its purple color. This fruit not only adorns, but also has a lot of food, including phytochemicals and antioxidants that are very useful in fighting diseases (Gregoris et al., 2013)
- One packet of Pitaya Dragonfruit smoothie
- Half a cup of avocados and half a cup of green figs
- Half a cup of almond milk
- One tablespoon of MCT oil
- Proceed to blend all the ingredients with high temperature, until a uniform texture is obtained.
- Later, when it cools down, you can decorate with nuts, seeds or fruit, if you wish.
4. Pancakes with protein and cottage cheese for breakfast
The proteins provided by this preparation will be very useful both for your workday and for exercising.
It is a recipe very rich in fiber since it will also be prepared with oats, therefore; This plant-based breakfast is very healthy and will also regulate digestion and your body weight.
- Half a cup of rolled oats and half a cup of 2% cottage cheese
- One teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Subsequently, cover a nonstick skillet with olive oil or vegetable oil, then heat over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the batter to make large or medium pancakes, depending on your taste.
- When the batter begins to bubble, you should flip the pancake so that it cooks on both sides. This will take two to three minutes.
- If the texture before cooking is not what you want, you can mix again to gain a better texture.
5. Digestive shake for breakfast
This time we find a breakfast full of fiber and vegetables . It has quinoa and prunes, which serve to regulate digestion in the body. Also, spicy ginger will be used, which has been proven to have anticancer, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects (Wang, Zhang, Yang and Yang, 2014)
- 4 dried California prunes
- 2 teaspoons ginger root
- A cup of original rice milk
- One third cup of cooked quinoa
- Half a cup of pomegranate seeds
- Combine all ingredients, until smooth. Later, serve it.
- Note: If you can’t find the pomegranate seeds, they can easily be replaced by half a cup of pomegranate juice.
- Gregoris E., Pereira GP, Fabris S. Bertelle M., Sicari M., and Stevanato R. (2013). Antioxidant Properties of Brazilian Tropical Fruits by Correlation between Different Assays. Biomed Res Int. Doi: 10.1155 / 2013/132759
- Osnato J. Start Your Day With These 5-Ingredient Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes. For Livestrong [Revised February 2020]
- Wang S., Zhang C., Yang G., and Yang Y. (2014). Biological properties of 6-gingerol: a brief review. Natural product communications. Doi: 10.1177 / 1934578X1400900736