The 17 Day Diet is a very popular weight loss program created by Dr. Mike Moreno.
This program aims to help people lose an average of 4.5 to 5.5 kilograms. The key to doing this is changing the combination of foods and calorie intake in each 17-day cycle. Dr. Moreno believes that changing your diet in this way prevents boredom and keeps your metabolism in a state of “confusion”, to speed up metabolism.
The question is: does the 17-day diet work for weight loss? Discover the best tips that this diet brings with it.
1. 17-day diet to lose weight
The 17 Day Diet is a book created by Dr. Mike Moreno, which was published in 2010. This book is written with the intention of helping you lose weight quickly and develop healthy eating habits.
The key to this diet is the constant change of food and calorie intake, which is claimed to increase metabolism.
2. Cycles of the 17-day diet
The diet is divided into four cycles:
- Speed up.
- To get.
The first three cycles must be followed 17 days each, while the fourth cycle (arrival) must be followed for life; in this way you will maintain good results.
As you progress through the cycles, the diet introduces new strategies and food options.
The diet does not say how many calories you should consume during each cycle; however, progressively increase calorie intake by introducing more calorie-rich options with each cycle.
In 2014, Dr. Moreno released a new edition of this diet, with some new additions:
- More food options and new recipes.
- Optional fasting day (between cycles).
- Supplements for the 17-day diet.
- 17 minute workouts to fight fat in specific places.
2.1 First cycle: Acceleration
During this cycle, the diet is intended to help you lose 4.5 to 5.4 kg during the first 17 days, helping you improve the following:
- Increase your protein intake.
- Improve digestive health.
- Reduce the consumption of sweets, sugars and refined carbohydrates.
- Cleanse your body of possible toxins.
During this phase you can eat unlimited protein and vegetable options from the specific list of the first cycle. On the contrary, most carbohydrates are prohibited during this phase.
2.1. 1 Guidelines to follow during the first cycle
- Buy poultry without skin or remove the skin.
- Avoid alcohol and sugar to improve digestion.
- Eat 2 probiotic foods daily to promote digestive health.
- Eat slowly and chew well until you feel full.
- Drink 8 (240 ml) glasses of water each day.
- Exercise at least 17 minutes a day.
2.2 Second cycle: Activation
During this cycle you should alternate between low and high calorie days . On low calorie days, you should simply eat as you would during the first cycle; While on higher calorie days you should add two naturally higher starch carbohydrate options, such as legumes, grains, tubers, and root vegetables.
During this cycle you must alternate one day of the first cycle with the second during the 17 days. In this way, diet is said to help establish your metabolism, although there is no evidence or studies to support this claim.
It should be noted that during this cycle it is forbidden to consume carbohydrates after two in the afternoon.
2.3 Third cycle: Achievement
This cycle is more like the days of the second cycle. During this, you can eat a wider variety of carbohydrate sources, such as healthy breads, pastas, high-fiber cereals, and virtually all fresh fruits and vegetables. In addition, a variant is added that will make many people happy: you can drink an optional glass of alcohol per day; however, Dr. Moreno says that it is preferable not to drink any alcohol if you want to lose weight.
Much more food is consumed during this cycle than in the first two cycles, therefore it is suggested to increase the exercise time from 17 minutes to an average of 45-60 minutes per day. However, it is still forbidden to consume carbohydrates after two in the afternoon.
2.4 Fourth cycle: Arrival.
Unlike the first three cycles that have a duration of 17 days each, in the fourth you must follow their instructions for life.
For this stage, you must choose any meal plan from the three previous cycles and follow them from breakfast on Monday to lunch on Friday.
The good news? You can enjoy any of your favorite foods from dinner on Friday to Sunday, but always enjoying it in moderation. In addition, you can have one or two alcoholic drinks during the weekend.
Since the weekends are two days of high consumption of food and alcoholic beverages, it is recommended to exercise for at least one hour on Saturdays and Sundays. During this cycle, the consumption of carbohydrates after two in the afternoon is still prohibited.
3. Benefits of the 17-day diet
- It is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
- It can be made gluten free.
- You have options for Mediterranean, Hispanic, Indian, Asian, and many more.
- It advocates eating lots of foods high in fiber, which not only helps you lose weight, but also offers many other health benefits.
- The program provides helpful tips for eating out and surviving vacations and family situations, which can be tricky at times.
The 17 Day Diet is a program that promises to help people lose weight quickly and effectively by changing food combinations and calorie intake through four cycles.
In addition to helping you lose weight, this diet helps you lead a much healthier lifestyle, thanks to the consumption of more complete and unprocessed foods, it also encourages people to exercise continuously. It also helps you adopt healthy habits, such as eating whole foods, avoiding high sugar intake, and exercising regularly.
- Ryan, R. 17 Day Diet Review: Does It Work for Weight Loss? For Healthline [Revised January 2019].