AMRAP is known to be a challenging but practical workout for any type of athlete. Depending on our capacity we can adapt it with different intensities and materials.
” As many reps as possible ” means doing as many reps as possible. The different AMRAP routines that we propose below are based on this pretext.
Tips for an AMRAP workout
For this type of training it is essential to follow some
- Control the rhythm . Workouts of this type tend to look much easier on paper than in reality. 20 minutes can seem very long if we start the training too quickly. We will make sure to finish the routine by setting the pace and leaving some gas in the tank for the last few minutes. It is always better to start slow and accelerate than to start fast and have to stop.
- Perfect shape always . We should not risk injury by breaking technique and doing wrong exercises. We will take the breaks that we need to make sure we do each and every one of the repetitions well. There is no point in cheating to get reps faster if we end up hurt.
- Be flexible . It’s okay to cut an AMRAP workout in half if we find it to be more difficult than we thought. For example, we can change from 15 repetitions per exercise to 10 to avoid bad technique.
- Do a variety of workouts . Although it’s okay to have a favorite routine, make sure you don’t do that workout as often as it could get boring or ineffective. Keep your workout interesting and productive by rotating through several of these routines.
AMRAP training examples
Although there is nothing to stop us from creating our own AMRAP workouts or looking up routines online and seeing what comes up, we have put together workouts with different materials. You just have to keep in mind that we can change any of these workouts by adjusting the time frame or the number of repetitions.
Before we begin, make sure to spend a few minutes warming up to reduce the risk of injury and check that the body is ready for what it is about to do. One minute of light cardio followed by some joint mobility and dynamic stretching is advised.
All we need for this workout is a kettlebell. We will work the whole body and it can be done more or less in one place, making it ideal for those who exercise at home and for anyone with a minimum training space.
Do as many laps as you can of the following exercises in 15 minutes:
- Swing with kettlebell x 15
- Halos x 10
- Deep Squats x 10
- Air Press (left) x 5
- Air press (right) x 5
CrossFit Cindy + AMRAP
Cindy is a popular full-body CrossFit workout. We have added a jump rope exercise to improve it and make it more demanding. We will do as many laps as possible of the following exercises in 20 minutes:
- Pull-ups x 5
- Push-ups x 10
- Squats without weight x 15
- Jump rope double low x 20
AMRAP cardio workout
Although most AMRAP workouts involve strength training exercises, in this case it is not necessary. This workout is all about cardiovascular exercise and calorie burning. It’s a good workout for anyone who finds regular cardio boring or needs an alternative to interval training.
You have to do as many laps as possible of the following exercises in 30 minutes:
- Ergometer x 20 calories
- Jumping Jacks x 25
- Treadmill x 400 meters
- Jump rope x 50
- Assault bike x 20 calories
- Burpees x 10
Push-pull leg version
Push-pull exercise is normally associated with bodybuilding training, but there is nothing wrong with using this format for AMRAP. Using a leg push-pull sequence means that we should be able to maintain a fast pace as each exercise provides a break from the previous one.
We will do as many laps as possible of the following exercises in 25 minutes:
- Inverted row x 10
- Lunges x 10 per leg
- Push-ups x 10
- Pull-ups x 10
- Squat jumps x 10
This type of AMRAP routine trains all the muscles of the body with a simple but effective dumbbell workout. We will use the same weights for all exercises.
Do as many laps as possible of these exercises in 30 minutes:
- Dumbbell Squats x 20
- Incline Dumbbell Press x 15
- Chest-supported dumbbell row x 15
- Romanian Dumbbell Deadlift x 20
- Overhead Dumbbell Press x 15
- Dumbbell bicep curls x 15
With body weight
If we don’t have much time or we can’t find any material to train with weight, no problem. This 10 minute bodyweight workout is the perfect solution when we need to exercise but have to do it in a hurry.
We will do as many laps as possible of the following exercises in 10 minutes:
- Jumps x 20
- Pushups x 15
- Russian twists x 10 per side
- Supine Back Extensions x 15
With resistance band
Resistance bands are great for home exercisers, when we travel, and anytime we need a portable, joint-friendly workout. All we need for this workout is a single strap with handles.
You have to do as many laps as we can of the following exercises in 15 minutes:
- Deadlift with resistance band x 20
- Kneeling shoulder press with resistance band x 10
- High Pull Deadlift x 15
- Floor press with resistance band x 10
- Row seated on the floor x 10
AMRAP with gym machines
Most AMRAP workouts use the same training tool from start to finish. This is a bit different because each exercise uses different training material. Needless to say, this workout works best in quiet gyms, as you will need to monopolize most of the machines.
We will do as many laps as possible of the following exercises in 30 minutes:
- Front Squat x 15
- Leg curls x 15
- Barbell bench press x 15
- Two-handed incline dumbbell row x 15
- Shoulder press machine x 15
- Cable Bicep Curls x 15
- Skullbreaker with bar EZ bar x 15
- Hanging Knee Raise x 15
Where to start?
AMRAP workouts are effective and challenging. They will help improve our physical condition, resistance and body composition. This type of training is also very time efficient; most workouts last between 20 and 30 minutes and usually less.
But as valuable as they are, AMRAP workouts aren’t the only way to train. Instead, they are one of many training tools that we can use to achieve fitness goals. Routines of this type are very popular, but that does not mean that we have to use them all the time. We must not tire of doing this type of exercise.
Even the best workouts have drawbacks, and while AMRAP training is good for getting fit and losing fat, it’s less helpful for building muscle or strength.