Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, so it is necessary to eat enough protein to start the daily routine with energy, vitality and encouragement.
You probably ran out of ideas for making a breakfast that contains enough protein and vitamins; In addition, you have already made all the saved recipes. Thinking about this, we bring you two recipes that, apart from containing enough nutrients, are practical and also delicious.
To change your routine in the morning, dare to prepare shakshuka , a variation of cooking poached eggs in a sauce of fresh tomatoes, seasoned in different ways with a Mediterranean touch.
Shakshuka main ingredients
It is daily to read about the importance of including both proteins and nutrients in breakfast that strengthen, repair and regulate our body. For this reason, it has become popular to consume protein shakes in the morning. But, if you are one of those who are not convinced to eat only liquids for breakfast, the Shakshuka contains the necessary proteins to keep your body balanced.
These are the main ingredients of Shakshuka .
They are considered a rich source of protein with essential amino acids , vitamins, minerals, good fats, and antioxidants. Among its most relevant properties are the following:
- Helps in the formation of muscle tissues
- Contributes to brain development
- Reduces risks of cardiovascular diseases
- Regulates the internal functions of the body
- Slow down degenerative processes
- Reduces risks of eye disorders
- Provides a feeling of fullness, thus reducing weight gain.
The egg can be consumed at any meal of the day, although due to its protein value and to provide the feeling of greater satiety, we advise you to eat it at breakfast.
Tomatoes are a great source of vitamins and minerals; besides being an effective antioxidant. Likewise, they contain lycopene that helps regulate metabolic processes. in our body, as well as to prevent some diseases (Palozza et al., 2012).
Among the benefits that tomatoes can provide are the following:
- Decreases the risk of arteriosclerosis
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Prevents diabetes
- Control hypertension
- Improves eyesight
- Increases the immune process.
2 recipes for nutritious breakfasts with Shakshuka
There are several ways to prepare eggs with tomatoes for a nutritious breakfast ; However, we will provide you with 2 easy recipes to prepare Shakshuka, which is a way to have poached eggs for breakfast in fresh tomato sauce and with a spicy touch, so you can face your day with enough energy.
1. Shakshuka with vegetables and spices
- 3 eggs
- 3 tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil (preferably)
- Traditional spices such as: pepper, ginger, Spanish paprika, ground coriander and cumin.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese fat
- 1 onion and 1 bell pepper
- 2 chard leaves and 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 teaspoon of salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the onion and finely chopped garlic cloves.
- When browning the previous ingredients, add the feta cheese fat, the julienned pepper, the chard and the diced tomatoes.
- Mix all the ingredients with the spices.
- Let cook over low heat with the pan covered for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Once the prepared mixture is thick, make 3 holes in that sauce and place the eggs delicately (taking care not to break them).
- Sprinkle the salt and spicy, cover and cook until the whites are white.
- When serving, add the fresh parsley and serve with bread.
2. Shakshuka with lamb
In this recipe you will incorporate lamb and the broth from its bones to give the Shaksuka a higher protein content .
Due to its high protein value and being low in carbohydrates, this recipe will give you a feeling of fullness during the course of the morning until you have lunch.
- 2 eggs
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Traditional spices (pepper, ginger, smoked paprika and cumin.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 170 g raw ground lamb
- ¼ cup bone broth
- 2 slices of onion
- 1 handful of parsley
- Salt to taste and chili to taste
- Heat the avocado oil over medium heat in a skillet.
- Add the cherry tomatoes while they are hot, cooking them for approximately 5 minutes until they soften. Don’t stir them too much.
- Remove the tomatoes and set aside to later include them.
- Add the onion slices, garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb seasoning it with the spices. Cook for about 7 more minutes.
- Add the bone broth, salt and chili, cook over low heat until it boils.
- Break the 2 eggs over the ground lamb; Cover and cook until the egg whites are white and the yolks are soft.
- Pour the cherry tomatoes previously set aside, decorate with the chopped parsley and serve with slices of whole wheat bread.
These recipes for your breakfast with Shaksuka are protein and low in carbohydrates. You will feel energetic during daily activities and with enough satiety that it will prevent you from “snacking” between meals.
- Baum, I. 3 Ways to Make Shakshuka, the Protein-Packed Breakfast You’ve Been Missing Out On. For Livestrong [Revised February 2020].
- Palozza, P., Catalano, A., Simone, R., Mele, M., Cittadini, A. (2012). Effect of lycopene and tomato products on cholesterol metabolism. doi: 10.1159 / 000342077